Are knotless braids painless? The answer is a resounding Yes!
Knotless box braids, also known as knotless braids or feed-in braids, is fast becoming the new standard when it comes to protective styles. Knowing how heavy the traditional box braids can be and how much strain it can sometimes put on our scalp and edges, the knotless braids is just the right solution needed to conquer this drawback with the traditional box braid. Aside the benefits that comes with rocking this style, we see the trend even on our celebrities on the red carpet and even on social media platforms.
KNOTLESS BRAIDS DEFINITION
The term Knotless refers to the knot used to initiate traditional box braids. Using traditional box braids, the braider will hold the braiding hair tightly to the scalp to form a knot. With knot-free braids, the braider starts with your own hair and slowly feed in braiding hair. This style can last anywhere from four to six weeks, but can last longer if well taken care of.
Another advantage is that knotless box braids can have a more natural look finish. According to oludele,” When you see knot-free box braids, you can’t tell where the hair begins or ends”. “They are very seamless from the root. “You can also start wearing any box braided hairstyle you want without feeling uncomfortable.
BENEFITS OF KNOTLESS BRAIDS
- THEY ARE PAINLESS: Yes, painless. One of the biggest problems with traditional box braids is the painful pulling and tightness on the scalp when you finish them initially. With this knot-free method, there is no such thing. Your scalp is painless.
- THEY ARE LIGHT WEIGHT: As you go down the braids by feeding the hair, you get a less bulky braid that flows like real hair, not heavy on your head, which means more hair flipping!
- SUITABLE FOR FINE HAIR: Regardless of whether you have different textures on your head, or just have thinner hair, the knot-free method should make braids safer. Using traditional box braids, if the knot is not tight on your scalp, the entire braids may slide out in a few days.
- NO BREAKAGE: Using knot-free method, there is less pull on the hair. In addition, there are no knots and no rubbing on your scalp, which means no breakage and less shedding. This is a real protective style.
- PREVENTS TRACTION ALOPECIA: Traction alopecia, this is a common form of hair loss, for those women with braids installed that are too tight braids with large knots. This technique may take longer to install, but it is worth it for the health of the hair and scalp. “
HOW TO CARE FOR KNOTLESS BRAIDS
Since knotless braids usually start with your real hair, you will have more opportunities to touch your scalp, which should make maintenance easier. Stylists recommend using apple cider vinegar to wipe the braids weekly, including using a Q-tip or small cotton pad to eliminate grease accumulation on the scalp. You also need to treat them like any other braiding style, keep styling products to a minimum, and wear satin bonnets at night.
It is also important to keep your hair hydrated with weekly mousse or oil sheens, and to focus on washing your scalp rather than the entire braided style.