Mai Atafo is an award winning Nigerian designer born on November 15, 1977. His real name is Ohimai Atafo from Edo state, Nigeria. He became popular through the dance reality show “celebrity takes two” where he styled top celebrities. Mai Atafo was born in Ile-Ife, Osun state into a family of 10, having 6 brothers and 2 sisters. He is married to Christine Atafo and they are blessed with a daughter.
Mai attended university staff school in Benin for his primary education and proceeded to federal government college, Ido-Ano in ondo state for his secondary education.
He studied Agricultural economics and extension and Hence, a Bachelors degree from edo state university, Ekpoma. He then proceeded to acquire a masters degree in information systems and technology from City University, London.
Mai Atafo returned back to Nigeria in 2002 after spending about 7 years in the united kingdom. Before venturing into the fashion world, Mai was a marketer in the corporate world having worked at British American Tobacco and then moving to Guiness Nigeria P.L.C in 2007. In 2010, he quit his role as a senior brand manager, Guiness Nigeria P.L.C because he needed to venture full time into fashion.
Mai then decided to start his clothing line ‘Mai Atafo Inspired’ which gained media recognition with various celebrities showing their support for the brand. He decided to expand his brand and Hence, in 2011, Mai Atafo launched a wedding line ‘Weddings by Mai’.
Mai Atafo has received numerous recognition for his contributions in the fashion industry through his designs. Below are a few of the awards he has received so far:
- He was awarded in 2009 as ‘Hottest Male Designer’ at city people fashion and style
- In 2010 as Mode Men ‘Best Dressed Men of the year’
- Also in 2010 as FAB Magazine ‘Fashion Brand of the year’
- 2011 as This Day style ‘Best Dressed Man’
- 2013 as GLITZ ‘Designer of the year’
- 2015 at Heineken Lagos fashion and design week as ‘Menswear Designer of the year’
- 2016 as Abryanz style and fashion award ‘Fashion Designer of the year, west Africa’
Mai Atafo is a lover of sports,salsa dancing, poetry and music amongst many others.
sources: 360dopes.com, PHOTO: stargist.com