We will be focusing on the Nigerian fried Rice recipe which is quite different from the Chinese fried rice recipe. Each of these fried Rice recipe have their unique taste. The taste of the Chinese fried rice comes from the soy sauce that is added unlike the taste of the Nigerian Fried Rice that comes from combination of Thyme, seasoning cubes, curry powder and lots of vegetables which includes carrot, sweet corn, peas, Green beans, and onions.
Nigerian fried rice is a very simple and delicious recipe. This version relies on a ton of fresh vegetables, beef liver and a little oil to crisp it up.
The added beef liver gives fried rice a very good rich but subtle taste, which is why it is one of the most popular options in Nigeria. Although you can also use shrimp or any protein you want. If you want to make vegetarian fried rice, you can omit beef liver or shrimp completely!
TIPS ON COOKING FRIED RICE
- You can use freshly cooked rice (parboiled) or leftover cold rice to make this recipe. If you choose to use freshly cooked rice, make sure you choose the right type of rice. It is advisable to use long grain parboiled rice. This type of rice is very easy to use when making fried rice, because it is stronger and non-sticky, so it is difficult to go wrong when using it.
- Another key to making this fried rice is to allow the freshly cooked rice (parboiled) to cool slightly before use. Before adding the rice to the pan, the rice should be cool. If time is not enough, just spread the rice on a pan so that the steam can easily escape, or just put the cooked rice in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- It is important that you always wash the rice before cooking. This will help to remove excess starch from the rice, which can cause the rice to stick together.
- Do not over-boil the rice before frying, otherwise, you will end up with a moist fried rice.
- Use a mix of vegetables consisting of carrots, sweet peas, sweet corn and green beans. However, vegetables such as sweet peppers can also be used.
- If you like some heat, you can add a little chili!
- To achieve mouth-watering crispy fried rice, you need to turn up the heat during frying and stir continuously as the rice heats up.
- When the vegetables remain crunchy, the fried rice is best enjoyed that way, so do not over-cook the vegetables.
- You can add Beef liver slices to your fried rice, as a lot of people like it too, but if you do not want it, you are free to leave it and you will still enjoy all the goodness of fried rice.
Having stated all the above, lets get right into the recipe:
- Parboiled Rice(2 cups)
- A cup of mixed vegetables(carrot, sweet corn, sweet peas, and Green beans)
- Diced Onion(1 cup)
- 2 Scallions
- Thyme(1/2 teaspoon)
- Curry powder(1 teaspoon)
- Chicken stock(1/2 cup)
- Diced beef liver(1 cup)
- 1 stock cube
- Oil for frying(3 tablespoons)
- salt to taste
- Add parboiled rice to the stock and cook until the water dries up.
- Preheat the oil in a saucepan, throw in the onions and fry for a couple of minutes, add the onions, mix the vegetables and seasonings (thyme, curry powder, salt and stock cubes)
- Add the rice and stir-fry for about 3 to 5 minutes. Turn it off the fire and serve.