Braids may seem purely decorative ,but their main purpose is to protect the wearer’s hair from the effects of everyday habits and exposure to elements such as Split ends, breakage and dryness. Black hair, whether natural or chemically treated, thrives in a style that does not require heat and low manipulation when it is undisturbed, which is why so many black women choose to braid in a way that does not require heat and low manipulation.
While box braids have become one of the more popular braid styles, the problems they can cause–from inflammation of the scalp to hair loss–leaves one wondering whether they are more destructive than protective.
According to trends on some of Instagram’s most popular braids pages, knotless braids may just be the answer. Due to its painless, light weight, tension-free nature, knotless braid hairstyle is loved by many people. You can also check out this article: ARE KNOTLESS BRAIDS PAINLESS? WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF KNOTLESS BRAIDS
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KNOTLESS BRAIDS AND BOX BRAIDS
- Knotless box braids are painless and tension-free variations of traditional box braids, where the braids are started using their own hair, unlike box braids that requires a knot to be first formed.
- Knotless braids are simple knot-free braids.
- Unlike box braids that use knots to hold the braid tightly to the hair, in knotless braids, stylists start braiding with the client’s own hair and gradually feed it as the braided hair moves.
- The absence of a knot in knotless braids makes the braiding experience more enjoyable and pain-less.
HOW TO DO A KNOTLESS BRAID
- Start by washing and conditioning your hair. Straighten or stretch your hair and make sure it’s easy to separate.
- Use a rattail comb to divide the hair into triangular or square parts. You can divide your hair into large or small parts depending on the size you want to achieve.
- Use hair cream to smooth the roots of your hair and make your sectioned parts look neat.
- Take the part and start braiding it like you would with normal hair.
- After braiding your natural hair for quite a long length, Take your braided hair and start feeding it to the already braided hair.
- Make sure you feed medium to small amounts of braided hair to avoid making braids look too bulky or have a knot-like look.
- The goal is to avoid creating a knot, which is why the braid is started using your own hair.
- Apply hair cream as you move along the length of the braid to make sure there are no tangles.
ADVANTAGES OF KNOTLESS BRAIDS
- No tension: Knotless box braids, unlike regular box braids cause no tension on the scalp.
- Painless: The lack of a knot makes a knotless box braid pain-free unlike in traditional box braids, a knot tightly fastened to your hair can be painful.
- It can be said that knotless braids last longer than the box braids.
- They are not heavy. In knotless braids, the hair flows naturally and is not bulky, making them very lightweight.
- Neat and tidy: Knotless braids are neater and look more natural than the traditional box braid.
DISADVANTAGES OF KNOTLESS BRAIDS
- They are more expensive: Knotless box braids take longer than traditional box braids, making them more expensive.
- Looks too ‘scalpy’.
- Depending on the length, it takes longer than the box braid.
- Some people find that their hair grows out of braids the longer they keep them.
DIFFERENT KNOTLESS BRAIDS STYLE INSPIRATION
- WAIST LENGTH KNOTLESS BRAIDS
- BLONDE BOHEMIAN KNOTLESS BRAIDS
- SMALL KNOTLESS BRAIDS
- KNOTLESS BRAIDS WITH HAIR ACCESSORIES
- JUMBO KNOTLESS BRAIDS
- KNOTLESS PASSION BRAIDS
- MEDIUM KNOTLESS BRAIDS
- TWIST KNOTLESS BRAIDS
- KNOTLESS BRAIDS UPDO
- HALF UP, HALF DOWN KNOTLESS BRAID STYLE